Thursday, January 29, 2009

World Leprosy Day

Today is world leprosy day. Many places that normally don't think about this disease will be raising awareness and support for these patients. Here at TLM everyday is leprosy day. While we had a special presentation about the history of the disease and the decline since the implementation of multi drug therapy, rounds are the same - monitoring the healing of ulcers and improving lesions and joints with therapy. I am concerned about one of our patients that I also saw in clinic on my first day. We admitted him for a deep plantar ulcer. After two debridements, it has not improved. After an xray it showed bone involvement. Monday we will remove the right big toe from this 25 yo. He is in college and seems very smart. This operation will help his current ulcer to heal but with altered anatomy, he will be more likely to get ulcers in the future. He will have to pay close attention to his feet. I am hopeful that since he is so educated that he will understand the importance of prevention. Most of the other leprosy patients are not so thoughtful. They are counseled over and over but don't seem to have the forethought to take care of their dry, fissured feet before an ulcer devolops. Pray for the counselors and PTs as they have the most difficult jobs in training patients and please pray for my patient's ulcer to heal with the operation that is performed. I look at my feet which are very comfortable in my Chacos even if they are dusty from the dirt roads and I am thankful that they tell me when I have a rock in my shoe and how to balance my weight just right so I don't have too much pressure in one area. Look at your feet...and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment