Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Giddy

Well it is day three in the clinic. On day one, the morning started out pretty slowly with chapel, rounds and clinic patients. I was seeing leprosy patients and we admitted a couple for plantar ulcers which are very very common. One lady came in with a lion face of a leper. She had started treatment in 2007 but quit taking the meds for who knows what reason since they are free for everyone who needs them. One thing that we noticed right away is the smell that she brought with her into the room. Lokking at her feet we knew that we should leave them wrapped in her cloth and take her to the "casualty" or ER for a debridement. I was the lucky operator. I am getting nauseated just writing this. Her big toe was about half gone and the rest was necrotic all the way down to her mid foot. I was instructed to cut and pick until fresh skin could be seen. As I began to dig, I noticed that what I was pulling out was actually tendon and bone along with the granulomatous tissue. She seemed to be in pain which made me hesitant to proceed. I was assured that she cold not feel it and that her groans were more psychological than actual pain. As I dug deeper, I began to feel sick. I just tried not to think about what I was doing and get through with it. I had to brace myself as I was digging deeper. When my gloved hand touched her foot and all I felt was mush...I couldn't ake it any more. The room became dark and quiet and I knew I had to sit down before I fainted. Thankfully everyone was sympathetic and patient with me. I was sick all evening and went to bed early. We have rounded on her twice since then and she is so grateful to me for "torturing" her. We will restart her on leprosy meds and teach her "self care" which includes SSO or soaking, scrubbing and oiling their feet. THey don't sweat so their feet get cracks and fissures and ulcerate and infected. I know her smile including her only two teeth is one that I won't forget.

2 comments: