Friday, February 6, 2009

things i love and could do without

Nice! I could keep this up....
  • wearing chacos everyday to workall the colorful saris that the women wear
  • cute indian children that just stare at us and say "good morning!" when we walk by their school at 4pm
  • roti - the flat bread that i eat 3 times a day just to feel full but hey i still like it. today we melted cheese on it!
  • our gas stove that we light with my lighter that I got through all the airports in my carry-on
  • the namaste greeting that patients give us everyday on rounds - they are so grateful for attention
  • not fixing my hair or washing it for that matter...saves on shampoo too! but this is no surprise to any of my loved ones!!!
  • my i pod dock that i bought the day before we came. we couldn't have gotten along without internet, tv, or phones in our house without it! ("The heart of Life" hien)
  • open windows - 24/7
  • the slow pace of life
  • my cocoon silk sleep sac that i swear i am going to use even when i come home
  • our neighbors - who are like the family we never knew
  • the badminton court
  • tea time BID
  • living, working, playing with my friend hannah
  • the lemon and lime trees outside
  • bible study
  • yoga
  • hannah's singing and dancing shows that are just for me!

really? must this be so???????
  • ants that swarm our kitchen table, sink, everything else
  • hindi obnoxious music blasting outside
  • the smell of ten bodies in one exam room without ac but with infectious skin disorders that smell and kids without diapers and untreated tb patients breathing in my face as i auscultate their cavitary lungs
  • nonsterile technique...somebody please wash your hands
  • eating lunch at 1:30 - don't you know i need my snacks
  • lack of food variety...i learned that if i blend their rough sugar into a fine grain that i can add it to absolutely everything!
  • hand washing all my laundry - well at least i get some kind of physical activity
  • the smell of mothballs
  • nightmares from our malaria medicine - watch out for the men without heads
  • the heat that is creeping into our days
  • we know how to treat this illness, we just don't have what we need to do it
  • while the slow pace is a nice change....sometimes things just dont get done in the same week that you need them to....PTL for wireless though!!!
  • the monkeys that think our roof is a jungle gym at 5 am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment